A great new addition to the WiT offer since 2019-20, Our Best Picture Book seeks to involve Year 2 in their very own reading award. The rationale behind the project is linked to the idea that the younger children of KS1 do not have the benefit of being involved in Our Best Book but we know they would love it. In brief, the purpose of the project is to engage pupils and their parents in reading, discussing and judging the merits of six picture book titles, borrowing the books and sharing them together. It will follow a similar format to Our Best Book will be co-ordinated in partnership with Leicester Libraries and Creative Learning Services (CLS).
The project aims to…
- Inspire and motivate children in Year 2 to be active readers
- Inspire and motivate parents to be involved in their child’s reading
- Develop and support reading for pleasure in KS1
- Develop awareness of new titles/authors
- Provide schools with multiple copies of a range of picture books to use as part of the project and beyond